born in Busan, South Korea, 1987.
currently studying in MA Fine Art, CSM
based in London
- BAF Painting, Seoul National University, South Korea , 2010
- Study Abroad : University of Vienna, Austria, 2008
< Statement >
The primary focus in my art practice has been that of evoking, through a visual medium, the sense of fantasy— which is naturally inherent in human beings. The method I have used for expressing this idea has been that of producing figurative drawings on canvas and paper. My main reason for this choice is my interest in the notion of unconscious memories and in creating imaginary worlds. Thus, the most prominent features of my work are using a type of intuitive drawing(such as doodling) and creating highly imaginative drawn figures and landscapes.
I found inspirational examples from works by Hieronymus Bosch, Pieter Bruegel, George Condo and Paul Noble as they depicted biomorphic shapes of creatures which show primitive, sometimes grotesque yet visually arresting images and sensibilities to the viewer. Likewise, through experimenting in this way of drawing, I can express a mindscpae consisting of various creatures with stories that are suggestive to the world of fantasy.
Since starting the MA Fine Art course in CSM, 2011, my direction of practice has also become a response to the long history of illustrated works from the ancient world to those of contemporary artists. On one hand, I am intrigued with ancient artifacts that use fantasy elements connected with the account of historical events around the world. For example, I regard Greek, Indian, Egyptian, Assyrian carvings and sculptures in the British Museum as an important reference to my personal themes. Historic figures in these works are often intricately intertwined, thus making the works seem one biomorphic organic object — which has a powerful visual impact on me.
In addition, from the research of renaissance landscape drawings by old masters such as Pieter Bruegel, I have started to experiment with using charcoal and a wash of water or acrylic color in order to create an old appearance of the surface on paper. This process leads me to the subject matter of landscape which can describe an artist’s inner view. As a consequence, I see the possibility of finding connections in previous art history with my own contemporary practice, in that I would like to produce a fantasy based surrealistic view of the real world by combining historical painting traditions with my own inner imaginary world.
Hyunjeong Lim was born in Busan, South Korea in 1987, currently lives and works in London.
- MA Fine Art, Central Saint Martins College of Arts and Design, 2013
- Bachelors in Fine Arts, Oil Painting ,Seoul National University(SNU), South Korea, 2010
- Study Abroad : University of Vienna, Austria, 2008 (Completed courses in Introduction to Chinese Art, Introduction to the Art and Architecture of the Indian Subcontinent)
Up coming exhibition
- “Jerwood Drawing Prize 2013”, Jerwood Visual Arts, London, 11 September-27october 2013. The exhibition will then tour venues across the UK, including, The Sidney Cooper Gallery, Canterbury Christ Church university in March 2014.
- “CSM Degree Show One”, Central Saint Martins College of Arts and Design, London, 2013
- “PreDrawing Biennale” by Drawing Biennale DMZ Heyri Organization, Hangil Book Museum, Paju, South Korea (April 5~28th, 2013)
- “Xhibit 2013”, 272 High Holborn Gallery, London, 2013
- “ Oblivion”, 17-20 Parr St, Shoreditch, London, 2013
-“A Homage to a Leak”, 272 High Holborn Gallery, London, 2013
- “Community”, SU Gallery CMS, London, 2012
- “CSM Fine Art Auction 2012”, Lethaby Gallery, London, 2012
-”The Signature Art Prize Gala Show” by Degree Art Gallery, Old Spitalfields Martket, London, 2012
-”Plan.Open Hidden/Exposed” by Arbeit Gallery, Mile End Art Pavilion, London 2012
-”2012 Saha Art exhibition”, Eulsukdo gallery, Busan, South Korea, 2012
-“CSM Interim Show”, V22, London, 2012
- “Black Out” Public Art project, Bld. 106, Seoul National University, South Korea, 2012
- “Here, and Now” Young Artist Competition, Gallery Grimson, Seoul, South Korea 2011
-“ I - OTHERS =? “, Gallery Mui, Seoul, South Korea2009
-” SNU BA Fine Art Degree Show”, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea, 2009
All photographs © Hyunjeong Lim